The Applefest Apple Pie Baking Competition is a delicious institution.
Get your baked goods judged among the best in the region.
The six categories include Apple Pie, Apple Cake and Apple Muffins. All are welcome to enter, with awards for both adult and junior bakers.
There are six basic criteria for apple pies to keep it delectably real:
- Apple pie must be baked in 20cm pie dish.
- Pies must have a bottom and a top crust.
- The pie top needs to be complete—that means no lattice.
- Use apples! Do not add other fruit to the apple.
- Pastry of own choice, but commercial mix and bought pastry are forbidden.
- Present it on the dish on which it was baked.
The rules for muffins also emphasise yummy authenticity:
- Must be made from scratch. No packet mixes.
- Judged on evenness of baking, moisture, texture and appearance.
- Four muffins must be provided for judging.
Winners are announced at 1pm. Often times, award winners have their wares available for sale at one of the market stalls. That way, everyone can get a piece of the best pie in town!
Are you in? That’s the way! You’ll need an Entry Form.
Be sure to read the conditions of entry on the form. Bring the completed form along with you on the day.
Want to be a judge? Too late! We’ve got official judges from the Royal Melbourne Show there for the tasting honours.